The Amazon and Machu Picchu
Experience a compelling blend of wild, unspoiled nature and fascinating historic reminders of vanished civilizations during this sample Machu Picchu and Amazon tour of Peru. Start in Peru’s Amazon jungle, where the biological diversity is simply unparalleled – one in ten of the world’s known species live here! After exploring the depths of the rain forest, move onward to the heartland of the Inca Empire. Meet skilled local craftspeople and cuddly camelids in the peaceful and pastoral Sacred Valley, see stupendous views of the looming needle-like Andean peaks, and marvel at the precarious setting of the ancient kingdom of Machu Picchu. Finish up your customized tour of Peru in history-layered Cusco, where the Inca, colonial, and modern worlds intersect.
- Stroll through the treetops on suspended bridges hanging amid the Amazon’s canopy.
- Go piranha fishing, search for nocturnal creepy-crawlies, and take part in other thrilling jungle excursions.
- Immerse yourself in local life with visits to remote Andean villages that are, for most travelers, uncharted territory
- Visit the characteristic Sacred Valley towns of Pisac and Ollantaytambo.
- Embark on a private city tour of Cusco, whose fascinating streets feature a unique concoction of Inca ruins and colonial constructions.
- Scale the ancient stone stairway up Machu Picchu’s iconic peak, Huayna Picchu.
- Tour Machu Picchu with your very own expert guide to explain the history, architecture, and theories surrounding the site, before wandering independently among the magnificent ruins the following day.
- Discover the delights of Peruvian cuisine at the country’s finest dining establishments.
- Enjoy enriching experiences with local artists at their workshops.
- Relax in hand-picked luxury accommodations throughout your personalized trip of Peru.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1: Arrival in Lima – Welcome to Peru!
Day 2: Fly to Puerto Maldonado and travel by boat to the Amazon jungle!
Day 3: Paddle with giant river otters and get a bird’s-eye view of the jungle canopy!
Day 4: Enjoy a dark-water creek walk and night-time jungle excursion!
Day 5: Fly to Cusco and visit the Sacsayhuaman Incan fortress and Sacred Valley.
Day 6: Climb to the top of the Ollantaytambo ruins and visit the vibrant Pisac Market.
Day 7: Enjoy a train through the cloud forest and visit the Machu Picchu Citadel!
Day 8: Hike one of the coveted, limited-entry hikes, Huayna Picchu
Day 9: Enjoy a private guided tour of the capital of the Inca Empire, Cusco.
Day 10: Fly to Lima and enjoy an afternoon in the Bohemian Barranco neighborhood!
DAY 1: Relax and refresh at your hotel in Lima after your international flight from your home country!
Lima is a metropolitan city known for its colonial architecture and delicious seafood and ceviche!
When your international flight arrives in Lima, look for your Kuoda host holding a sign with your name on it. We will escort you to your hotel adjacent to the airport to check you in and help you get settled. Refresh after a long flight for the evening and enjoy a good night’s rest before your flight to Puerto Maldonado in the morning!
DAY 2: Fly to Puerto Maldonado and onto your Amazon Jungle Adventure!
The Tambopata jungle is home to a variety of amazing animals and plants!
Fly from Lima to Puerto Maldonado for your adventure in the Amazon Jungle of Tambopata! After arriving to Puerto Maldonado, travel by boat to the Reserva Amazonica Lodge to settle in before a guided jungle walk and sunset boat ride along the Madre de Dios River! Return to the lodge for a relaxing evening, falling asleep to the symphony of jungle sounds!
DAY 3: A day enjoying jungle activities, river otters and canopy views!
Lake Sandoval is home to the endangered Giant River Otter as well as other jungle creatures!
Explore Lake Sandoval in a wooden canoe while viewing the endangered giant river otter, red howler monkeys, red-bellied macaws, anacondas, side-neck turtles and black caimans. Enjoy your afternoon at the Canopy Inkaterra Interpretation Center which consists of eight observation platforms located 30 meters up in the jungle canopy. Observe woodpeckers, toucans, monkeys and sloths before ending your day strolling the Anaconda Walk wetlands.
DAY 4: Dark-Water Creek walk and nighttime jungle excursion!
The Gamitana creek is home to many birds, turtles, caiman and piranha.
Travel by boat to Gamitana creek, where you’ll enjoy walking up-stream to explore this dark-water creek while observing piranha, caiman, turtles and birds! In the afternoon visit Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion nature and wildlife area, where you’ll also enjoy a canoe trip looking for exotic herons! End your evening with a night-time jungle excursion to view the nocturnal jungle dwellers!
DAY 5: Fly to Cusco and enjoy an ancient hacienda experience in the Peruvian countryside.
The Sacred Valley, lower in altitude than Cusco offers gorgeous scenery and a relaxing atmosphere.
Bid the Amazon rainforest goodbye and fly to Cusco for a day of exploring the impressive Sacsayhuaman, an Incan fortress overlooking the city, as well as the red fort of Pukapukara, and the fountains at Tambomachay if time permits. Enjoy a drive through the Peruvian countryside as you make your way to your hotel in the heart of the Sacred Valley for the evening.
DAY 6: Enjoy a private tour of Ollantaytambo and the vibrant traditional Pisac Market.
Ollantaytambo is a gorgeous Incan town known for its original urban planning and iconic ruins.
Today you will enjoy the ancient town of Ollantaytambo, one of the few remaining places in Peru that retains its original Incan urban planning. Visit the Incan fortress perched on the mountainside and learn about the pivotal Incan battle fought here. Next visit the traditional market of Pisac where vendors peddle their beautifully crafted hand-made cloth, ceramics, and locally-forged silver jewelry.
DAY 7: Enjoy a morning train through the cloud forest and visit the Machu Picchu Citadel!
Machu Picchu will take your breath away with its mysterious and historical atmosphere.
Enjoy a scenic train ride from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes to enjoy an early lunch before ascending to the ancient lost Citadel of Machu Picchu! Spend the day exploring this world wonder with your private guide and upon conclusion return to Aguas Calientes for an excellent dinner and night of relaxation at your hotel.
DAY 8: Hike one of the coveted, limited-entry hikes, Huayna Picchu!
Huayna Picchu, a not to miss experience while at Machu Picchu!
In the morning return to Machu Picchu by bus to scale the iconic sugarloaf peak in the background of the classic Machu Picchu postcard photo – Huayna Picchu! Delight in an alternate perspective of Machu Picchu from the top of what is certainly a true feat of engineering and then descend to Aguas Calientes for lunch and your return train to Ollantaytambo.
DAY 9: Explore the cobblestone streets of historical Cusco with a private city tour!
The beautiful city of Cusco has an altitude is 11,150ft (3,300m) above sea level!
After a lovely breakfast at your hotel you will explore hidden alleyways, historic plazas, and local treasures of Cusco. Visit the Santo Domingo monastery, Qoricancha, the bohemian San Blas neighborhood, the 12-angled stone, local indigenous marketing, and the Plaza de Armas before enjoying a delicious local lunch suggested by your Cusco guide!
DAY 10: Explore the bohemian Barranco neighborhood before your international flight home!
The Barranco district is one of Lima’s up-and-coming artsy areas!
Upon arrival in Lima you will visit the Barranco boardwalk and the famous “Puente de los Suspiros”, a meeting point for young lovers for decades which has inspired many famous Peruvian poets and singers. Enjoy local art galleries or the picturesque main plaza in Barranco and complete your tour with a secured dinner reservation of an award-winning national cuisine before your international flight home. Buen viaje!
Like the sound of this Amazon and Machu Picchu private tour? Get in touch with Kuoda and we’ll start devising your very own customized Peru private travel experience.
There are many additional activities that can be added to the Amazon and Machu Picchu private tour as our tours are complete customized to your interests and hobbies! Please note that Huayna Picchu has limited entry quotas per day and needs to be booked months in advance.
- Take the reins of a Peruvian Paso for a trail ride through the Sacred Valley.
- Sit down with a shaman for a private meditation ceremony.
- Observe local weavers at work during private demonstrations.
- Hone your kitchen skills during Peruvian cooking classes with celebrated chefs.
- Join a local Peruvian family for a home-cooked meal in their residence.
- Admire views of the Andes from your luxury, vintage-style carriage on the Belmond Hiram Bingham Train.
- Take a day hike along part of the famed Inca Trail and arrive in Machu Picchu via the iconic Sun Gate.
- Revel in the gorgeous views as you tuck into lavish picnics that come complete with glassware, crockery, and even a professional waiter to serve you.
- Amp up the adrenaline with exhilarating adventure activities such as riding the fast-flowing rapids of the Vilcanota River, or zooming along zip lines among towering Andean peaks.
- Personalized itinerary planning: Work with a Kuoda Travel Designer to create the trip of your dreams.
- Kuoda hosts take the hassle out of traveling. They’ll be there to assist you – whether with luggage, check in, transport or translating – at every destination during your private tour of Peru.
- Have a question or query? Kuoda operates a 24-hour, seven day a week customer service operation and can provide updates and assistance whenever you need it.
- With Kuoda, you’ll never be bundled in with big groups; each visit, activity, tour and experience will be completely private and conducted by your very own expert, English-speaking guide.
- Our private tours of Peru are fully flexible, which means we can modify them to suit your travel mood. So if you want to cut an activity or add on a new one, just say the word!
- All necessary adventure and trekking equipment will be provided so all you need bring is yourself.
- Receive a customized Kuoda Travel kit upon arrival.
Our staff hand picks the best hotels in the country to ensure you experience utmost comfort and character.
Feel free to browse our recommendations and let us know if you’d like to incorporate a specific property in your customized journey!
This sample itinerary is an exemplary way for any adventure-seeking traveler to experience the best of the Andes! This Amazon & Machu Picchu itinerary will serve as the perfect inspiration.
Please know we will work with you to change or modify these tours however you deem necessary – all Kuoda itineraries are crafted just for you, built to suit your individual interests and schedules. Interested in customizing this particular itinerary?
The price will be based on final accommodation choices, travel dates, and other custom preferences.