This Peru tour showcases a different side to Peru. Craft Andean pottery in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, marvel at the salt mines of Maras and the agricultural laboratory of Moray, before letting your little ones explore the evocative ruins of Machu Picchu. Keep them sweet in Cusco with a visit to the Choco Museum in between gawping at the remarkable Inca architecture and just generally reveling in the city’s wonderful mishmash of the traditional “old” and dynamic “new.” Back in Lima, you are sure to put smiles on their faces as you take them to the urban water park, one of the largest of its kind. Luxury travel to Peru doesn’t have to be limited by the family. Our Peru family tour is the stuff of memories – designed to keep the whole brood happy, whether toddlers, tweens or teens.
- Pet llamas, alpacas and other wool-producing Andean camelids at the Awanakancha Living Museum.
- Create your own piece of pottery during a ceramic workshop in Urubamba.
- Meet the artisans who sell their handmade wares at the colorful market in Pisac.
- Get your fill of sticky-fingered, sugary fun during a chocolate-making workshop in Cusco.
- Watch Lima’s Magical Water Circuit, a stunningly choreographed water and light show.
- Get acquainted with the flavors of Peru as you eat your way around the country’s gastronomic hot spots.
- Embark on a private city tour of Cusco, whose fascinating streets feature a unique concoction of Inca ruins and colonial constructions.
- Scale the ancient stone stairway up Machu Picchu’s neighboring peak, Huayna Picchu.
- Tour Machu Picchu with your very own expert guide who can explain all about the history, architecture and theories surrounding the site, before wandering independently among the iconic ruins the following day.
- Immerse yourself in local life with visits to remote Andean villages that are, for most tourists, unchartered territory.
- Characteristic and luxury accommodations throughout your personalized trip of Peru.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1: Arrival in Lima – Welcome to Peru!
Day 2: Over the Andes to the Sacred Valley – Flight from Lima to Cusco – private car to the Sacred Valley
Day 3: Delving into past and present in the Sacred Valley – Private Tour of Pisac’s Inca Ruins and Pottery Classes and Fun Family Dinner
Day 4: The Lost City of the Incas: Machu Picchu – Private Tour of Machu Picchu
Day 5: Hiking Huayna Picchu – Hike a coveted limited-entry hike with your guide
Day 6: Exploring the Imperial City of Cusco – Private tour of Cusco and the Inca ruins surrounding the city
Day 7: Return to Lima / Thrilling light and water – Fly From Cusco to Lima. An evening visit to Lima’s Parque de la Reserva
Day 8: Return home – Explore Miraflores and fly home
DAY 1: Welcome to Peru!
Arrival in Lima
Once you touch down in Lima, your Peru family tour with Kuoda has officially begun! You’ll find us waiting in arrivals – just look for the Kuoda sign bearing your name. We’ll then whisk you straight to your family-friendly hotel, check you in and help you with anything else you may need. After that, we’ll leave you to recuperate from your long flight.
DAY 2: Over the Andes to the Sacred Valley
Flight from Lima to Cusco – Private Cat to the Sacred Valley
After a restful night spent catching up on sleep and a complimentary buffet breakfast in the hotel, we’ll bring your family direct to the airport for the morning flight to Cusco. It’s just a short trip, and the kids will be kept entertained by the dizzying views of the Andes out the plane window.
Upon touch down in Cusco, we’ll bring you out for a tasty lunch, before taking you to the Sacred Valley, where the lower altitudes make it easier to acclimatize. On the way out there, we’ll break up the 45-minute journey with a pit stop at the Awana Kancha Living Museum. Youngsters will love watching the masterly weavers here at work and petting the cute and cuddly llamas and alpacas.
Before long, you’ll be out in the pastoral valley among tranquil Peruvian countryside. Here, cows and sheep seem to outnumber people and the dramatic, jagged silhouette of the Andes frames the picture. We’ll drop you off at your hotel for the evening.
Remember, your Peru family trip is private and customizable, which means you’ll have a Kuoda guide and driver at your disposal. So if you want to stop for a family photo or just to give the kids some time to breathe in the fresh air, just say the word.
DAY 3: Delving into past and present in the Sacred Valley
Private Tour of Pisac’s Inca Ruins and Pottery Classes and Fun Family Dinner
Today you’ll continue your family tour to Peru with a private excursion around the Sacred Valley, during which you’ll get to see how Peru’s long history still manifests itself not only in its Inca ruins but also in modern-day living here.
For starters, we’ll head to the Peruvian village of Pisac, where you and your kids can hike up to the incredible Inca ruins perched loftily on a ridge overlooking the colonial-era town. From this elevated position just beneath the clouds, you can gaze down upon the still-farmed agricultural terraces where the Incas themselves once toiled, cultivating corn and developing thousands of varieties of potato. Next, descend to the village to wander about its lively artisan market, where everything from handmade textiles to well-crafted ceramics, are sold.
At Kuoda, we know that children don’t just like to look, but to touch as well, which is why we arrange for interactive, hands-on activities as part of our Peru family tours. In the afternoon, you’ll take part in a pottery workshop in the town of Urubamba, where you will learn about the ceramics traditions of Peru and make your own ceramic piece. That evening, you’ll dine at a fun, buzzy local restaurant where you’ll get to see traditional dances and costumes as well as listen to traditional music.
DAY 4: The Lost City of the Incas – Machu Picchu
Morning Train through the Cloud Forest, Private Tour of Machu Picchu
Prepare for a climactic day! In the morning, we will board the train in Ollantaytambo for our journey to Machu Picchu. Watch the cloud jungle pass by through the large glass windows and hear the train’s whistle bounce off tunnels and mountains nearby! Upon arrival to Aguas Calientes, we’ll tuck in to a yummy lunch in order to refuel before ascending to Peru’s lost citadel.
This afternoon, after a bus ride to the gates of this wonder of the world, you will then ascend stone steps, through heavy tree cover to finally emerge at the top of the world – Machu Picchu. The incredible Inca stone construction will be spread below, alternately hidden and revealed by clouds. Your expert guide will give you a private tour of the ancient city and wow you with Incan tales and lore.
Upon conclusion of your tour, return for an evening in Aguas Calientes. Enjoy an excellent dinner on-site at your hotel and fall into bed, lulled to sleep by the sound of the cloud forest around you.
DAY 5: Hiking Huayna Picchu
Hike the Sugarleaf Peak in Machu Picchu, or Free Day in Aguas Calientes
At the appropriate time this morning, board the bus with your guide and return to the front gates of Machu Picchu.
We have secured hiking permits for you to scale the iconic sugarloaf peak in the background of the classic Machu Picchu postcard photo – Huayna Picchu! Delight in an alternate perspective of Machu Picchu from the top of what is certainly a true feat of engineering.
Descend to Aguas Calientes for lunch and your return train to Ollantaytambo. We will be waiting in the station for you and will bring you to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
DAY 6: Exploring the Imperial City of Cusco
Private Tour of Cusco and the Inca Ruins Surrounding the City
Meet your guide post-breakfast for a private tour of Cusco, a captivating city caught between old-world heritage and modern-day dynamism. Few travelers can resists falling head over heels for its charms. A walk here yields all manner of delights, from the Santo Domingo monastery, which sits atop an Inca temple that was once among the finest in the empire to the grand, warm-hued colonial cathedrals of Cusco’s central square, Plaza de Armas.
Next, venture into the Peruvian countryside and let the kids loose on yet another ancient site. Wander among the archaeological remains of Sacsayhuamán, where the Incas staged a great battle against the conquistadors. While here, you’ll see the vestiges of the temple and amphitheater of Q’enko, as well as the once-magnificent red fortress of Puca Pucara.
Finish the day with an activity that’s bound to please the youngsters (and any chocolate-loving adults among you!) by taking part in a chocolate-making workshop at the ChocoMuseo in Cusco. You’ll learn about the history of chocolate and about the production processes, from bean all the way to bar. Witness each chocolate-making step and take your pick from a variety of chocolate-friendly fillings to add to your personalized concoction, before taking your tempting chocolate treats home to the hotel. Things always taste better when you’ve made them yourself, of course, but remember, don’t eat them all at once!
DAY 7: Return to Lima / Thrilling light and water
Fly From Cusco to Lima. An Evening Visit to Lima’s Parque de la Reserva
This morning, we’ll take you to Cusco airport for your morning flight to Lima, the next destination during your Peru family travel adventure. As you fly through the skies, remember to steal the odd glance out the window to see the snow-dusted Andes give way to the coastal desert of the north west. Upon arrival in Lima, your Kuoda Lima host will meet you and bring you to your hotel in Lima’s Miraflores district.
In the evening, change into something you don’t mind getting wet as you’ll be heading to Lima’s “Magical Water Circuit”. Set in a city park, this fountain display is a surefire hit for families. Not only are the choreographed light, water and sound displays a marvel to behold, but many of the fountains are interactive – meaning you might find yourself playing among them and even running away from them. One thing is for sure, you should prepare to get wet!
DAY 8: Return Home
Explore Miraflores and fly Home
Today, you’ll have time to explore trendy Miraflores, an attractive oceanfront neighborhood, and one of the city’s premier shopping and dining destinations. Catch some sun at the seaside parks, browse the boutiques or head to the arcades at Lima’s stunning cliff-side shopping center, Larco Mar.
**If your family prefers alternate activities to the Huayna Picchu hike, we also highly recommend taking advantage of your hotel’s excellent family-friendly activities, such as visiting their Spectacled Bear Sanctuary, or going on a nature walk to spot butterflies and hummingbirds!
When the appropriate time comes, we’ll collect you and take you to the airport for your journey home.
Like the sound of this Family Peru tour? Get in touch with Kuoda and we’ll start devising your very own customized Peru private travel experience.
- Trot around the Sacred Valley on a Peruvian Paso horse, with an authentic “challan” (Peruvian horseman) leading the way.
- Sit down with a shaman for a private meditation ceremony.
- Observe local weavers at work during private demonstrations.
- Hone your kitchen skills during Peruvian cooking classes with celebrated chefs.
- Join a local Peruvian family for a home-cooked dinner in their residence.
- Admire views of the Andes from your luxury, vintage-style carriage on the Belmond-owned Hiram Bingham Train.
- Take a day hike along part of the famed Inca Trail and arrive in Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate entrance that afternoon.
- Revel in the gorgeous views as you tuck into lavish picnics that come complete with glassware, crockery and even a professional waiter to serve you.
- Amp up the adrenaline with exhilarating adventure activities, such as riding the fast-flowing rapids of the Vilcanota River or zooming along zip lines in the Andes.
- Personalized itinerary planning: Work with a Kuoda Travel Designer to create the trip of your dreams.
- Kuoda hosts take the hassle out of traveling. They’ll be there to assist you – whether with luggage, check in, transport or translating – at every destination during your private tour of Peru.
- Got a question or query? Kuoda operate a 24-hour, seven day a week customer service operation and can provide updates and assistance whenever you need it.
- With Kuoda, you’ll never be bundled in with big groups; each visit, activity, tour and experience will be completely private and conducted by your very own expert, English-speaking guide.
- Our private tours of Peru are fully flexible, which means we can modify them to suit your travel mood. So if you want to cut an activity or add on a new one, just say the word!
- All necessary adventure and trekking equipment will be provided so all you need bring is yourself.
- Receive a customized Kuoda Travel kit upon arrival.
Our staff handpicks the best hotels in the country to ensure you get comfort and character.
Take a look to our recommendations and let us know if you’d like to incorporate one or a few in to your next trip
An exemplary way for any adventure seeking traveler to experience the best of the Andes! This sample Family Peru Tour itinerary is just the way for you to get inspired.
Please know you can change or modify these tours however you deem necessary as all Kuoda itineraries are crafted just for you, to suit your individual interests and schedules. Interest in getting this trip completely customized?
The price is customized based on final accommodation choices, travel dates, and other custom preferences.
Get In Touch
Creating enriching and unforgettable travel experiences is our passion, so when our story happens to be about you, having a dedicated Travel Designer can make all the difference. Reach out to one of our team members and we will be happy to help you!
Most vacation memories quickly dissipate in the face of routine, but remarkable travel experiences hover in the back of the mind forever. With Kuoda’s private tours to Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru, we create meaningful memories that stick…
Yachay: Kuoda's Blog
Whether traveling on your own or with family and friends, a trip with Kuoda will never come short of being 100% personalized. Here you’ll find useful tips, travel news and experiences to get the most out as you discover this region.