The Amazon, Machu Picchu & Lake Titicaca all in one Peru Tour! From the verdant Amazon interior to the mist-shrouded Andean summits to the stark coastal deserts, this sample tour of Peru spotlights the sheer diversity of the country’s landscapes. After a brief stay in Peru’s exciting capital, Lima, and leave the urban environs behind for a luxury escape to a jungle lodge set in the midst of the Puerto Maldonado jungle. Here, you’ll discover just how the so-called “lungs of the world” function as well as getting a glimpse at the seemingly never-ending number of species that creep, crawl, swing and slither their way around here. Swap the jungle for the heady heights of the Andes as you immerse yourself in a unique hybrid culture that blends aspects of the country’s Inca and colonial histories. This is also when you’ll get to finally lay your eyes on Peru’s starring attraction: Machu Picchu. The fun continues with a luxury train ride to the crystalline waters of Lake Titicaca. Cap off your customized tour of Peru with a final few days touring the coastal plains, where captivating remnants of forgotten ancient cultures dot the magnificent landscape.
- Enjoy a unique and guided bus tour from Cusco to Puno and Lake Titicaca. Included are stops through Cusco`s South Valley which offers an array of must see destinations!
- Meet unique island communities during a private boat tour around Lake Titicaca.
- Take extraordinary walks along suspension bridges that put you at eye-level with the canopy of the world’s most diverse rainforest.
- Visit rural communities in the Sacred Valley towns of Pisac and Ollantaytambo.
- Embark on a private city tour of Cusco, whose fascinating streets feature a unique concoction of Inca ruins and colonial constructions.
- Scale the ancient stone stairway up Machu Picchu’s neighboring peak, Huayna Picchu.
- Tour Machu Picchu with your very own expert guide who can explain all about the history, architecture and theories surrounding the site, before wandering independently among the iconic ruins the following day.
- Discover the delights of Peruvian cuisine at the country’s finest dining establishments.
- Immerse yourself in local life with visits to remote Andean villages that are, for most tourists, unchartered territory.
- Enjoy enriching experiences with local artists at their workshops.
- Your choice of deluxe and characteristic accommodations throughout your personalized trip of Peru.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1: Arrival in Lima – Welcome to Peru!
Day 2: Lima to Tambopata Jungle – Day of Jungle Activities
Day 3: Tambopata Jungle – Day of Jungle Activities
Day 4: Tambopata Jungle – Day of Jungle Activities
Day 5: Tambopata to Cusco – Living Museum of Awanakancha
Day 6: Exploring the Sacred Valley – Ollantaytambo and Pisac’s Archaeological Complexes and Pisac Market
Day 7: Machu Picchu – Train Journey to Aguas Calientes / Private Visit to Machu Picchu
Day 8: Hiking Huayna Picchu – Hike a coveted limited-entry hike with your guide
Day 9: Cusco – Private Walking Tour of Cusco
Day 10: Over the Altiplano to Titicaca – A Sightseeing Tour by Bus from Cusco to Puno
Day 11: Lake Titicaca Islands – Cultural Tour / Uros Islands / the Island of Taquile
Day 12: Day 12: Puno to Juliaca to Lima and Home – Return Home
DAY 1: Arrival in Lima
Welcome to Peru!
Arrive in Lima and meet your host, who will escort you to the Costa Ramada del Sol Hotel in the airport. International flights usually arrive late in the evening and your next flight (to Puerto Maldonado) will leave early in the morning so we suggest a good night’s sleep in preparation.
DAY 2: Lima to Tambopata Jungle
Day of Jungle Activities
Your Kuoda host will take you to the airport early in the morning for your flight to Puerto Maldonado. Once you touch down there, you’ll be transported by boat to the Reserva Amazónica lodge in Tambopata for an Amazon luxury travel experience.
After a brief rest, embark on a guided walk in the lush, green rainforest. Your guide will point out the colorful birds tearing through the treetops and unusual insects scuttling on the forest floor. That evening, kick back and enjoy your first Amazon sun set on a twilight boat ride along the Madre de Dios River. As darkness sets, look out for wide-eyed owls, cute capybaras and prehistoric-looking caimans.
DAY 3: Tambopata Jungle
Day of Jungle Activities
In the morning, depart by boat to the Canopy Inkaterra Interpretation Center, where observation platforms provide an eye-level view of the teeming rainforest canopy. Saunter along the high bridges and look out for acrobatic monkeys and adorably lethargic sloths.
After lunch, you’ll move on to the palm-fringed Sandoval Lake to try and find the Amazon’s famous giant river otters and perhaps even take a revitalizing swim, before returning to your stylish jungle lodge.
DAY 4: Tambopata Jungle
Day of Jungle Activities
Start this morning with a boat ride to wander through the botanical gardens of Concepción, where more than 200 plant species thrive.
After lunch, travel by boat to Rolin Island, where you’ll visit a Primate Rescue Center that provides sanctuary for several species of monkeys.
DAY 5: Tambopata to Cusco
Living Museum of Awana Kancha
Today you’ll head upriver to Puerto Maldonado and, after a stop-off at a butterfly farm, you’ll be brought to the airport for a flight to Cusco. From Cusco, a guide will accompany you to the stunning Sacred Valley, whose bucolic farming and weaving towns – a few thousand feet lower in elevation than Cusco – are ideal for acclimatizing. On the way out there, stop at Awana Kancha. At this “living museum,” you’ll come face-to-face with some of South America’s most endearing inhabitants, including alpacas, llamas, vicuñas and guanacos, as well as learning about traditional weaving.
DAY 6: Exploring the Sacred Valley
Ollantaytambo and Pisac’s Archaeological Complex and Pisac Market
Today, valley explorations begin. We’ll start in the ancient town of Ollantaytambo, where the centuries-old influence of the Incas is still very much visible: water from the mountains trickles down to the Inca-built street canals, while original Inca walls and trapezoidal doors are still found here.
With your guide by your side, ascend beyond the stepped, slope-side terraces to the ruins of a centuries-old fortress above town, where the Incas secured an important victory over the Spanish conquistadors. Inspect the intricately hewn stone constructions and have your guide show you the distant quarries from where the Incas sourced these huge stone blocks. This site also afford fabulous views of the valley and the Urubamba River that meanders through it.
From there, your exclusive tour of Peru will take you to another valley town – Pisac – where you’ll have the chance to rub shoulders with locals as you survey the artisan offerings of the market. Vegetables, textiles and silver jewelry are just some of the items that are sold here.
End the day with one more archaeological site visit, this time to the abandoned mountainside ruins of the original Inca Pisac village (Spanish conquerors built their village further down the hillside). From here, you’ll be able to see the verdant farmland where the Incas once cultivated their crops and where modern-day Quechua people continue to farm. Later, return to the hotel of your choice.
DAY 7: The Lost City of the Incas – Machu Picchu
Morning Train through the Cloud Forest, Private Afternoon Tour of Machu Picchu
Prepare for a climactic day! In the morning, we will board the train in Ollantaytambo for our journey to Machu Picchu. Watch the cloud jungle pass by through the large glass windows! Upon arrival to Aguas Calientes, we’ll tuck in to an early lunch in order to refuel before ascending to Peru’s lost citadel.
After a bus ride to the gates of this wonder of the world, you will pass through the main gates with your private guide to finally emerge at the top of the world – Machu Picchu. The incredible Inca stone construction will be spread below, alternately hidden and revealed by clouds. Your expert guide will give you a private tour of the ancient city.
Upon conclusion of your tour, return for an evening in Aguas Calientes. Enjoy an excellent dinner on-site at your hotel and fall into bed, lulled to sleep by the sound of the cloud forest around you.
DAY 8: Hiking Huayna Picchu
Hike one of the Coveted, Limited-Entry Hikes at Machu Picchu
At the appropriate time this morning, board the bus with your guide and return to the front gates of Machu Picchu.
We have secured hiking permits for you to scale the iconic sugarloaf peak in the background of the classic Machu Picchu postcard photo – Huayna Picchu! Delight in an alternate perspective of Machu Picchu from the top of what is certainly a true feat of engineering.
Descend to Aguas Calientes for lunch and your return train to Ollantaytambo. We will be waiting in the station for you and will bring you to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
DAY 9: Cusco
Private Walking Tour of Cusco
Discover the old imperial city of the Incas during a private guided city tour around Cusco’s cobbled lanes and learn about the multifarious cultural influences. See old stone walls, foundations and temple ruins as well as Spanish colonial churches and cathedrals. Revel in the free-spirited atmosphere of the San Blas neighborhood and experience a taste of everyday life at the animated San Pedro market.
After you’ve got a feel for the city’s layout and culture, you are free to explore Cusco on your own for the afternoon.
DAY 10: Over the Altiplano to Titicaca
A Sightseeing Tour by Bus From Cusco to Puno
After a satisfying breakfast at your stylish hotel, settle into your seat for a guided bus tour that will take you from Cusco all the way south to Puno and Lake Titicaca.
We’ll make several stop-offs at various points of interest during the guided bus tour. Disembark first at the tiny town of Andahuaylillas to see its beautiful church, often called the “Sistine Chapel of the Americas.” A relatively unassuming exterior hides a seriously spectacular interior, which features frescoes, gold leaf and an incredibly detailed sculpted wood pulpit.
The next stop on the guided bus tour is the town of Raqchi, where the remnants of an unusual Inca wall designed to hold back invaders from the south, still stand. After a restorative lunch, we’ll pass through La Raya, which – at 14,220 feet – is the highest point on the route. Enjoy the views of the snow-covered Andes and browse the roadside offerings from local artisans.
Finally, delve even further back into Peruvian history at the pre-Inca site of Pukara. Soon after this, the flat golden plains will give way to building-covered hills, which gradually slope into the banks of Lake Titicaca. This is Puno.
The guided bus tour concludes in Puno, where a local host will show you to your stylish hotel for a Lake Titicaca luxury travel experience. Enjoy creature comforts and watch the reflection of the stars twinkling on the water’s surface.
DAY 11: Lake Titicaca Island
Cultural Tour / Uros Island / the Island of Taquile
On day eleven, you’ll step aboard a boat at the harbor and make the short voyage out to the Floating Islands of Uros to visit an ancient community who have lived off the natural resources of the lake for thousands of years. Their man-made islands are produced from woven totora reeds, and the floor requires continual maintenance to keep their homes afloat.
Next, you’ll meet the residents of another island community on Taquile. These islanders welcome visitors to explore their environs and to sit down with them for an authentic home-cooked lunch as well as to see their excellent handcrafted weavings. Later, return to Puno and transfer to your hotel.
DAY 12: Puno to Juliaca to Lima and Home
Today you’ll be transferred to Juliaca airport. Fly from there to Lima, where you’ll be met by your host and brought to the Miraflores district. If you want to see another part of the Peruvian capital, no problem; Kuoda will ensure you have a car at your disposal should you want to visit another neighborhood. Later, we’ll bring you back to Jorge Chavez Airport, where you’ll board your return flight home.
Contact us and start planning your individually customized tour of Peru with Kuoda today.
The Inkaterra Reserva Amazónica Lodge mentioned in this itinerary is one of several jungle lodges in the Tambopata area that we can offer. The exact itinerary will vary depending on the lodge chosen and time of year.
- Experience a memorable trip aboard the deluxe Andean Explorer, a luxury train that chugs between Cusco and Puno.
- Visit the colonial mansion of Casa Aliaga, one of the oldest houses in all of South America on a private Lima city tour.
- Take the reins of a Peruvian Paso for a horse trek through the Sacred Valley.
- Sit down with a shaman for a private meditation ceremony.
- Observe local weavers at work during private demonstrations.
- Hone your kitchen skills during Peruvian cooking classes with celebrated chefs.
- Join a local Peruvian family for a home-cooked dinner in their residence.
- Admire views of the Andes from your luxury, vintage-style carriage on the Belmond-owned Hiram Bingham Train or the Luxury Andean Explorer Train to Puno.
- Trot around the Sacred Valley on a Peruvian paso horse, with an authentic “challan” (Peruvian horseman) leading the way.
- Take a day hike along part of the famed Inca Trail and arrive in Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate entrance that afternoon.
- Learn about preparing and cooking Peruvian classics with professional local chefs.
- Revel in the gorgeous views as you tuck into lavish picnics that come complete with glassware, crockery and even a professional waiter to serve you.
- Amp up the adrenaline with exhilarating adventure activities, such as riding the fast-flowing rapids of the Vilcanota River or zooming along zip lines in the Andes.
- Personalized itinerary planning: Work with a Kuoda Travel Designer to create the trip of your dreams.
- Kuoda hosts take the hassle out of traveling. They’ll be there to assist you – whether with luggage, check in, transport or translating – at every destination during your private tour of Peru.
- Got a question or query? Kuoda operate a 24-hour, seven day a week customer service operation and can provide updates and assistance whenever you need it.
- With Kuoda, you’ll never be bundled in with big groups; each visit, activity, tour and experience will be completely private and conducted by your very own expert, English-speaking guide.
- Our private tours of Peru are fully flexible, which means we can modify them to suit your travel mood. So if you want to cut an activity or add on a new one, just say the word!
- All necessary adventure and trekking equipment will be provided so all you need bring is yourself.
- Receive a customized Kuoda Travel kit upon arrival.
Our staff handpicks the best hotels in the country to ensure you get comfort and character.
Take a look to our recommendations and let us know if you’d like to incorporate one or a few in to your next trip
An exemplary way for any adventure seeking traveler to experience the best of the Andes! This sample The Amazon, Machu Picchu & Lake Titicaca itinerary is just the way for you to get inspired.
Please know you can change or modify these tours however you deem necessary as all Kuoda itineraries are crafted just for you, to suit your individual interests and schedules. Interest in getting this trip completely customized?
The price is customized based on final accommodation choices, travel dates, and other custom preferences.
Get In Touch
Creating enriching and unforgettable travel experiences is our passion, so when our story happens to be about you, having a dedicated Travel Designer can make all the difference. Reach out to one of our team members and we will be happy to help you!
Most vacation memories quickly dissipate in the face of routine, but remarkable travel experiences hover in the back of the mind forever. With Kuoda’s private tours to Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru, we create meaningful memories that stick…
Yachay: Kuoda's Blog
Whether traveling on your own or with family and friends, a trip with Kuoda will never come short of being 100% personalized. Here you’ll find useful tips, travel news and experiences to get the most out as you discover this region.